Tuesday 26 May 2015

Homecoming

There is a major difference between shifting houses and shifting homes. The former is much easier, for all it entails is leaving behind a building that is nothing but brick and mortar. Shifting homes on the other hand is emotionally taxing for one needs to leave their loved ones behind while shifting homes.

I have shifted homes twice and I am moving to a new house with my current home-mates soon and I would definitely say that shifting houses is no easy task, however shifting homes is a hundred times worse than shifting houses.

Two years ago, I left home for the first time. I left my family and came to Singapore. I was apprehensive and a little sad on leaving my little nest, but the excitement of going to a new place kept my spirits high.

In my first year in Singapore, my roommates became my support system in Singapore. The day I left the house, I felt a tinge of pain and I looked at the house that was once my residence for the last time. I quickly turned away and proceeded to my new house.

I soon moved into another locality and got acquainted with my new housemates. These housemates soon became home mates. At the end of the year, the university asked my roommates to shift. I was in a situation where I could either retain my house or my home-mates. I chose the later.

Many people chided me on my decision to shift houses when I could live on campus. I knew that they would never be able to understand my rationale behind leaving the house. I felt that a house can be replaced, but people who matter to you should never be replaced.

To me, My current hostel was a home, because my buddies made it so. If I chose them over the house, I would still be in a home. On the contrary if I chose the house, the house would be nothing but a hostel. It would mean that I valued cardboard, brick and cement over wonderful people.

The only thing that I miss about my new house is my Best Friends Absence. Though she intended to stay with me, a series of errors on my part made it impossible. However, nothing can be perfect and it's almost perfect with my home-mates and I am sure my Best Friend will be an honorary house mate in my house, just like I am in hers.

Houses may come, Houses may go. But we will go on forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment