Friday 24 April 2015

Bise-Bhele-Bhaat

Bise-Bhele-Bhaat is one of my favourite dishes. The Colourful concoction of rice, lentils and vegetables is as tasty as it looks. It is simple to make and easy to eat as it does not require any side dish to be eaten with it. My grandmothers and mother are experts at making this dish. However the best Bise-Bhele-Bhaat I have tasted was made by my friend Sahana, who originates from the same place that Bise-Bhele-Bhaat originated - Karnataka.  Sahana had a knack for making it. She would toss the ingredients into a cooker and let it cook. She would then add the condiments and it would be just perfect at the first try. She knew the quantities by just looking at them. When complimented, she would just smile and offer to explain how to make it. She was unassuming and never cared for compliments.

"Exchange one dollar with and a friend and you have a dollar each.
Exchange an idea with a friend and you have two good ideas."

In this race of life, many believe that success is a win-lose situation, where one needs to put down their counterparts in order to succeed. In stark contrast she believed in sharing ideas and knowledge with everyone in order to obtain ideas from them. She believed that learning was a two-way process that benefitted the receiver as well as the giver.

Relative Grading is analogous to ensuring that you stay a little ahead of others, so that you can leverage the edge you have by converting it to a better grade. Several people I knew used the relative grading system to their advantage by not sharing what they knew with others. However, Sahana rubbished these ideas and freely shared her notes with everyone. The notes that she meticulously prepared, used to be photocopied and passed around the rest of the class. Never once did she worry that the people she helped would outperform her.

Sahana was extremely organized. She did not stop with herself and lent a hand to anyone who required it. Once during my Master's, I had an open book exam. I sat in the study lounge with piles and piles of paper surrounding me, unsure of how to proceed. Sahana, came up to me. She sat down and quickly began to re-arrange my notes. She labelled them using sticky notes and sorted them into five broad categories depending on the portions covered in them. She gave me a few tips on how to use those notes to my advantage. She congratulated me when I received an 'A' on the paper, and commented that I had done the studying and she was only a catalyst.

She did not stop with academics. Cooking came naturally to Sahana, and she gave cooking advice to anyone who asked her. She taught me to make macaroni and accompanied me to the shop to purchase the best pasta available in the market. She made Bise-bhele-bhaat and Biriyani when I was low and never ceased to motivate me when I felt low.

Sahana Completed the course with flying colors. She topped the class. What made it more special for everyone was that, by succeeding, she created a win-win situation for everyone. She proved that one can succeed by being simple. The bise-bhele-Bhaat is simple, tasty and nourishing. The same way the best way to be successful is be simple, drop your ego, learn from others and teach others what you know. The way to succeed will present itself to you.

Sahana, as you celebrate your birthday, I wish you a prosperous life. I wish that your life is as Colourful as the Bise-Bhele-Bhaat. Continue to be as awesome as you are. The world needs people like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment